Sunday, May 17, 2009

Mroz Stays an Even Course

In an unusual coincidence, U.S. skater Brandon Mroz seems to almost always finish with an even numbered placement in major competitions. He has finished second four straight times at U.S. Nationals: novice in 2006, juniors in 2007 and 2008, and seniors in 2009.

"People say it's a curse, but at least I'm consistent," he said. "I knew a medal was possible this year, but silver was a shock. To get silver my first year in seniors is a great starting point. I'm young and I'm only going to get better. It's in me to get to the top."

Mroz was second twice at the ISU Junior Grand Prix Final (2007 and 2008) and fourth twice at Junior Worlds in the same seasons. "That definitely helped me by putting me in situations where there was a lot of pressure," he said. "It made me a better athlete and helped define my character."

This year, Mroz competed for the first time at an ISU senior international, the 2009 Four Continents Championships. And again his finish was an even number – eighth.

Only at the 2009 World Championships did Mroz finish in an odd-numbered place, ninth, after placing eighth in the short.

"Nerves were blocking me a bit," he said, "but I just tried to push through and do the best I could. I learned what's in me and what I could do. Everybody gets better from knowledge, and I can take it and apply it to next season in the Olympic year."

Mroz has continued to set personal bests this year, both nationally and internationally. He set new marks for his short program and overall score at Skate Canada, then improved those scores again at Four Continents and Worlds with 76.10 points in the short and 207.19 points overall.


Full article.

No comments: