Sunday, September 7, 2008

Krasilnikova and Bezmaternikh Strive for Next Level

Pair skating has a long standing tradition in Russia, and unlike in many other countries, young skaters switch early from singles to pairs. One example are Ksenia Krasilnikova and Konstantin Bezmaternikh, who are, at 17 and 20-years-old, experienced pair skaters. They are the current Junior World and Junior Grand Prix Final Champions.

"When I was four, we moved (from Krasnoiarsk) to Perm and my mother put me into figure skating when I was five," recalled Krasilnikova, who turned to pair skating at the age of 10. "I'm from Perm, meaning that I always lived there," said Bezmaternikh. "When I was three and a half years old, my parents put me on skates, and they took me to figure skating classes when I was four years old. I skated under my first coach until I was six and then I switched to another coach until I was nine. When I was ten, I went to the Tiukovs (pair skating coaches), or rather they took me."

Full article.

No comments: