Thursday, March 10, 2011

Comments from Dube, Davison on split

Three-time Canadian pair champions Jessica Dube and Bryce Davison have ended their partnership after nine years as a team. They spoke to the media Thursday about their decision to split. Here are some comments from that press conference.

Three-time Canadian pair champions Jessica Dube and Bryce Davison have ended their partnership after nine years as a team. The duo planned to compete this season, but was forced to sit out after Davison underwent knee surgery in October.

The 2008 world bronze medalists spoke to the media Thursday about their decision to split. Here are some comments from that press conference:

On why the team split...

Jessica Dube: In the last couple months I've been doing singles and doing other stuff. I had a lot of things change in my life and I really enjoyed it that way. I found some kind of spark again inside of me and I didn't really want to lose that. It's really bad timing with the injury, but I needed something to remind me of how I enjoy skating. I guess the injury made me realize that and that there was a lot of other things in life I wanted to change like go back to school and maybe do singles again and it made me make that decision.

On whether they will look for new partners...

JD: I love to do pairs. If the right person came along I would look at the opportunity and consider it. I'm not saying I'm not ever going to do pairs again because I love it too much to just put it behind me.

Bryce Davison: When you've had success in something, you don't want to take massive steps backwards... It would have to be a very special partner to step into the top 10 in the world right away...It's not easy to find a partner at that level. I'll look, but at the same time you have to keep all your options very open and realize there's more to life than just skating...You keep your options open and see what presents itself.

On if Davison was surprised the partnership ended...

BD: A little bit of a surprise, yes...I was focused on healing and getting back. That was my main goal. When I sat back and looked at it, that's when I said, ‘This is not a bad thing.' I totally respect her decisions for ending it. It wasn't something I was surprised and got mad about. It has been a large part of our lives, so it's always going to be disappointing when it ends, but there is going to be a time when it ends, no matter what.

On whether they have spent much time together since Davison's surgery in October...

BD: Jess and I have been talking the entire season while I have been injured, but because of the extent of my injuries I wasn't able to live by myself because I was fully non-weight bearing. Couldn't drive, couldn't do anything for three months. I was living with my parents, which is an interesting thing when you haven't since you were 14, so we were talking the whole time, but we haven't seen each other too much... It's not necessarily that we drifted apart, but it made us step back and look at things.

Davison's top moments from their partnership...

BD: When we made the Olympic team for Torino was definitely one of my highs, but also when we skated for the first time in London after our accident. When I look back at it that was probably my most terrifying moment as a figure skater, but my most special memory that I will never ever forget.


universalsports.com

No comments: