Sunday, October 5, 2008

Leung Hopes for Podium Finish at Grand Prixs

Vancouver's Mira Leung has a good chance of competing in a second Olympics when the Winter Games come to her hometown in 2010. She finished 12th at the 2006 Olympics in Torino, Italy. Leung is the three-time defending silver medallist in senior ladies in Canada and has been on the podium since 2005, so an Olympic spot seems likely for the talented teen.

"It would mean a lot to me to compete in an Olympics in my home country and home town," Leung said. "It's definitely a once in a lifetime chance. Nationals was held in the Pacific Coliseum and we have had National Team training camps there, so I'm familiar with the arena."

The 19-year-old placed 14th at the World Figure Skating Championships in 2008, up ten places from 2007. She was eighth at her only appearance at the World Junior Figure Skating Championships in 2005. Last season, Leung competed in the Four Continents Championships for the first time, placing fifth at the competition in Goyang, South Korea.

"It was my first Four Continents and I felt it was my best international competition," Leung stated. "They said it was a season best but it was also my personal best so I was really happy about that. I got more experience there and I was happy to skate in Korea."

Leung's goal last season was to have a good year internationally and to skate two clean programs at Four Continents and Worlds. She managed her best two placements in the ISU Grand Prix series, placing fifth at both Skate America and Trophée Eric Bompard in Paris. She will open this season at the ISU Grand Prix Skate America in Everett, Washington, just a short drive from her home in Vancouver. Her second event will be the Cup of China. "My goals are to have podium finishes at my Grand Prix events," she said. "I'm happy about the Grand Prix assignments I got."

Full article.

No comments: