Sunday, October 12, 2008

Musademba top contender for JGP Final

With only one Junior Grand Prix (JGP) event left to go before the Final, USA's Kristine Musademba currently leads the ladies in standings with fellow countrywoman Alexe Gilles, Amanda Dobbs, and Becky Bereswill trailing close behind. However, USA's Angela Maxwell and Japan's Yukiko Fujisawa are also up for the running and will inevitably change those stats after next week's event in Sheffield, Great Britain.

Nevertheless, Musademba feels that just qualifying for the JGP Final would be a great honor. "I would be very proud and excited to compete there considering the obstacles I have overcome this year," she said.

One of those obstacles was the coaching change from Nina Stark-Slapnik to Traci Coleman in April 2008. "I think that it's hard for every skater to switch coaches," noted Musademba. "Things changed a lot for me after the switch and I had to find my path again. There were a lot of steps I had to take to get back on track but I overcame those steps and I have brought myself into a much better place.

Musademba's first event of the season was the Liberty Open which was held July in 15-19, 2008 in Ashton, Pa. The 15-year-old, who placed sixth in the short and fifth in the long, felt she didn't do her best. "I did land a triple Lutz-double toeloop combination in my long program for the first time, so I was very excited about that," she said. "It was a very good learning experience and gave me a very good clear idea of what I needed to work on."

Full article.

No comments: