Sunday, October 19, 2008

Zhang Hopes to Improve on Grand Prix Success

American skating sensation Caroline Zhang will open her competitive season in November by competing at Skate Canada in Ottawa, Ontario, then follow up later in the month by competing at Trophée Eric Bompard Cachemire in Paris, France. This will be her first appearance at both events.

"I really like my Grand Prix assignments for this season," Zhang enthused. "Skate Canada and Trophée Bompard will be fun. I'm really excited about going to Paris because I've never been there before. Actually, I think all of the Grand Prix events would be fun to do. There's nowhere that I wouldn't like to go."

Zhang made her senior Grand Prix debut last season, opening with a bronze medal at her first event, Skate America, then taking silver at the Cup of China, home of her primary coach, Mingzhu Li. She placed fourth at the ISU Grand Prix Final in Torino, Italy.

"I really thought competing on the Grand Prix circuit was exciting and fun," Zhang said. "Everybody is real good on the senior circuit and it was hard to compete with them. I didn't really have any expectations for that year. I just wanted to get some experience. I loved being able to compete in front of a big crowd, and compete against some of the best skaters in the world. It motivated me to work harder."

During the summer, Zhang did two 45-minute sessions and two 1-hour sessions Monday through Saturday and usually three, one-hour sessions on Sunday.

"I'm doing more core training and weight training to help my jumps and to build up my stamina," Zhang explained. "I never used to do off ice training, but now I'm working with a personal trainer a couple of times a week and I do 45 minutes every day by myself. I also have some other off-ice classes and run."

Full article.

No comments: