Monday, January 19, 2009

Emily Hughes withdraws from U.S. Champs

Emily Hughes, the 2007 U.S. silver medalist and 2007 Four Continents silver medalist, has withdrawn from the 2009 AT&T U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Cleveland, because of an ankle injury.

"This was one of the most distressing decisions I have had to make," Hughes said. "It is the second year that I suffered an injury during my final preparation for the U.S. Championships."

Hughes received a cortisone shot last week in the hopes that she would be able to continue training.

"I just don't have enough strength in my ankle to perform my programs," Hughes said. "I plan to resume training when my ankle heals and to compete again as soon as possible."

"Emily has worked exceptionally hard this year, both at college and on the rink," said Bonni Retzkin, Hughes' longtime coach. "The timing of this injury is most unfortunate, but, while she is very disappointed not to be going to Cleveland, the injury has not dampened her passion or desire to continue to train and compete."

Hughes competed in this year's ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series, finishing ninth at the Trophée Eric Bompard in Paris. She placed seventh at the 2006 Olympic Winter Games.


icenetwork.com

No comments: