Friday, January 9, 2009

Langlois, Hay won't defend figure skating pairs title

A major setback in her recovery from a broken lower right fibula will prevent Anabelle Langlois from defending the pairs title with partner Cody Hay at next week's Canadian national figure skating championships in Saskatoon.

Langlois, who suffered the injury during a practice session on July 23 and had surgery a week later, was forced off her skates Tuesday.

"I had started jumping again [in the last two, three weeks] and doing throws [a week ago] and then I came to the rink on Tuesday and I could barely walk," Langlois, who had five screws and a metal plate inserted in the ankle, told reporters on a conference call Friday.

"I can only skate at about 10 per cent at this time, but I was skating at about 70 per cent last week, maybe even a little more. It feels like I'm back in September [when I started my rehabilitation].

"We're seeking more answers and doing more testing next week."

At the very least there is tissue damage, said Langlois, who at one time was diagnosed with a high-ankle sprain and had to withdraw from Skate Canada in October. The tandem will attempt to return at the Four Continents championships in Vancouver on Feb. 2.

Michael Slipchuk of Skate Canada said the national team for the world championships in Los Angeles (March 22-29) will not be announced until after Four Continents.

Langlois, who was given the all-clear by her surgeon to resume training in mid-September, told CBCSports.ca she doesn't believe she went too hard and too fast in rehabbing the ankle.

"Off the ice, I had been doing a lot better.… I could run," said the native of Grand-Mere, Que., adding she has experienced sensitivity over the metal plate since the surgery. "I've had recurring pain since the beginning that I don't think is related to the bone break and that's what's been holding me back the most.

"I just think there's something that hasn't been addressed or treated properly."


Full article.

No comments: