Sunday, January 18, 2009

Kimmie Meissner withdraws from U.S. Championships

Kimmie Meissner, the 2006 World champion and 2007 U.S. champion, has withdrawn from the 2009 AT&T U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Cleveland, Ohio, because of an injury.

"The decision wasn't easy and was not made lightly," Meissner said. "I'm very disappointed I won't be there in Cleveland to compete."

The injury was sustained during an off-ice training session about a week ago.

"I was sprinting on the treadmill and injured my hip flexor," Meissner said. "I tried to get on the ice, but I'm still experiencing pain doing jumps. I would not be able to compete at 100 percent as I had been planning."

The injury became aggravated while she was landing jumps during an on-ice training session in Coral Gables, Fla. Meissner returned to her hometown of Baltimore, Md., to receive treatment from a physical therapist.

"Of course we're disappointed that Kimmie won't be competing in Cleveland," said Meissner's coach, Richard Callaghan, "but we've got to put her health and physical well-being first. Unfortunately, that means that she won't be able to compete at the championships this year."

Meissner competed in this year's ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series, finishing eighth at both Skate America in Everett, Wash., and the Cup of Russia in Moscow.

"I plan to get stronger and overcome my injury so that I can compete at the 2010 U.S. Championships."


icenetwork.com

No comments: