Saturday, July 18, 2009

Dolensky takes gold in novice men's FS at Liberty

Well-executed jumps, fast spins and deep, fluid edges marked an exciting novice men's free skate at the Liberty Summer Competition on Friday.

In a close race, Timothy Dolensky wound up at the top of the 12-member field with 80.72 points.

Skating to the "Warsaw Concerto," Dolensky hit two triple toes, a triple loop, a triple Salchow and a double Axel-double toe-double toe combination with ease. He fell on a triple flip and popped an intended triple Salchow into a single, but he was happy with his overall performance.

"I felt confident out there; my program was pretty good," said Dolensky, who turns 17 on Saturday. "I'm not sure I am where I need to be yet. That's okay, though, because it's still early in the season."

Emmanuel Savary was second with 74.49 points.

His entertaining rendition of music from the television show The Simpsons featured a triple toe-double toe; two triple Salchows, one in combination with a double toe and double loop; and two double Axels, one in combination with a double toe.

This was Savary's first time competing at the novice level. He won the 2009 U.S. intermediate title.

"I was so happy out there. I enjoy skating so much, and I just focus on what I had to do," said the 11-year-old.

Harrison Choate was third with 73.37 points. His program to West Side Story included a solid triple Lutz and a triple Salchow. Zachariah Szabo was fourth with a score of 66.80.


icenetwork.com

No comments: