Saturday, July 18, 2009

Musademba, Forte win short programs at Liberty

The offseason was work, work, work for the top finishers in senior ladies group A at the 2009 Liberty Summer Competition, and it showed in their polished, confident programs.

"I'm just really happy with the way I skated," said winner Kristine Musademba, who won two Junior Grand Prix events last season. "I actually had the chance to train for Liberty this year, and I think that's why I had a better showing."

The 16-year-old hit an opening triple Lutz and triple flip-double toe combination in her short to Debussy's "Clair de lune," choreographed by Uschi Keszler. She received Level 4s for both her step sequence and flying sit spin combination and scored 52.84 points.

"I'm working really hard to be the best I can be, in both practices and competition," said Musademba, who trains under Traci Coleman in the Washington, D.C., area.

"I think I have a Junior Grand Prix [event], but I don't know where yet, so I want to be 100-percent ready."

Alexe Gilles, who won the U.S. junior title in 2008, showed off a mature, flowing style in her short, choreographed by David Wilson to Cinderella.

The 17-year-old opened with a solid triple Lutz-double toe, but she doubled her triple flip. She placed second with 52.22 points.

"I really like the work David [Wilson] did choreographing this program. I love the music," said Gilles, who trains under Tom Zakrajsek and Becky Calvin at Colorado Springs' World Arena.

"This performance was a good base. We've been working on pushing everything out, making [my movements] bigger to the eye. Those little details go a long way. Also, I'm trying to get more consistent with everything."

Kristiene Gong shone in her short to "One Summer Day," choreographed by Philip Mills, but lost ground when her triple flip was downgraded by the technical panel. She placed third with 49.66 points.


Full article.

No comments: