Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Mroz to show a new side this season

When it comes to Brandon Mroz, we ain't seen nothing yet.

"After he competed at his first senior worlds and took a look around, he realized the top men have as close to the total package as you can get," the skater's coach, Tom Zakrajsek, said.

"He's got kind of a playful personality; there's a little bit of a twinkle in his eye," added Catarina Lindgren, one of his choreographers.

"I see him as a big personality who can relate to a crowd. He's the kind of skater you would say, 'I would really like to have him in my show.' That's the kind of role I see him moving into."

That sounds great to Mroz, who is anxious to up the ante and beat out a few of his elders to make his first Olympic team this season.

"I love a good challenge. I love to go out there and shake things up," said the 18-year-old skater, who was born in St. Louis but has trained in Colorado Springs under Zakrajsek since 2005.

Mroz shook things up plenty at 2009 AT&T U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Cleveland this January. The teen placed second with the most technically proficient free skate of the event, including a quadruple toe loop, two triple Axels and a triple-triple combination in the second half of the program. In March, he placed ninth at his first senior worlds.

"I definitely felt I had a great season," Mroz said. "I had some great moments. I was happy with both my programs at worlds, although I could have skated better in the free. Now I have to build on them and apply myself for the Olympic season. I have to give it everything I've got. Olympic season is no time to hold back.


Full article.

No comments: