Saturday, July 18, 2009

Maxwell, Musademba win senior free skate groups

Angela Maxwell won her free skate group at the Liberty Summer Competition, earning 86.94 points for an outing that included three solid triples, a flying sit spin and superb layback to Biellmann spin.

Now if only she could remember her program.

"I just got my free skate re-done two days ago, and I forgot which jumps went where," said the bubbly 16-year-old, who trains at the Ice House in Hackensack, N.J., under former ice dance competitor Olga Orlova.

"I was fine after the opening double Axel, but then the slow part started and I didn't know what to do. I skipped a jump and made up some footwork. I was just throwing out moves."

Maxwell may have a future in choreography, because her exciting straight-line step sequence earned cheers from the crowd. She also landed two of her clean triples, the toe and loop, in the second half of her program to "Nostradamas."

"We didn't want to try my most difficult jumps here, so Olga asked Craig Maurizi [another of her coaches] to re-do the jumps," the skater explained. "I just got confused about what went where."

Maxwell hopes to do even better at her next competition, the Detroit Open.

"That's in a week," she said. "I'll see if I can remember everything by then."

Joelle Forte, who won the short program, placed second in the free with 81.40 points.

Skating to music from Rachmaninoff, the 23-year-old Fordham University student popped her opening triple loop but recovered quickly with a triple Lutz-double toe combination. Her triple flip and triple Salchow were judged to be underrotated by the technical panel, but she landed a triple Salchow-double toe and a second triple Lutz-double toe.


Full article.

No comments: