Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Ten Years Together for Tenacious Dancers

Vancouver natives Tarrah Harvey, 19, and Keith Gagnon, 21, have been dancing together for over ten years, but never reached the podium at Canadian Nationals until this season. Since then, their success has continued.

The duo placed fifth in novice dance at Canadian Junior Nationals in 2005, but then languished in 13th place in junior dance for the next two years. Last season, they placed fourth before reaching the podium in 2009 with a silver medal.

That earned them a place at the World Junior Figure Skating Championships in Sofia, Bulgaria, where they placed 12th. Earlier in the season, the dancers placed fourth at the ISU Junior Grand Prix in Merano, Italy and fifth in Gomel, Belarus.

Next season, the couple will compete only in seniors, however, with few world ranking points, will not be participating in the Grand Prix series.

Gagnon started to skate when he was five. "My mother was a coach and she wanted my brother and I to start skating," he recalled. "My brother quit, but I stayed around. I skated in singles until I was 14 and can still do a double Axel, but I only competed up to pre-novice."

Other sports couldn't keep his interest. "I had brief episodes where I tried other sports," admitted Gagnon. "I tried gymnastics for a year when I was five or six. Then I tried diving when I was eleven, but I had an eye injury and had to give it up after a few months."


Full article.

No comments: