Saturday, September 26, 2009

Czisny defends title at Nebelhorn Trophy

U.S. skater Alissa Czisny defended her gold medal at the 2009 Nebelhorn Trophy, totaling 151.40 points to win by 1.39 points over Finland's Kiira Korpi.

"I love coming to this competition," Czisny said. "My short was good, but my long was just OK. I'll look at the protocol and see what I have to work on."

First after the short program, Czisny was only sixth in the free skate with 91.02 points in her program to selections from the motion picture soundtrack of Dr. Zhivago.

Czisny had a triple Lutz, triple flip, triple toe and triple loop-double toe combination, all of which received negative GOEs. She doubled a planned triple loop and popped the opening double Axel in a planned double Axel-double Axel sequence, receiving no points for it.

The only jump that received a positive GOE was her triple Lutz-double toe loop combination, but she scored high on her fast and well centered spins as well as her spiral sequence

Korpi used "Crooked Room" and "Passenger to Copenhagen" for her long program. She placed fourth in the free skate with 91.67 points to win the silver medal with 150.01 points overall.

"It's been a great week," Korpi said. "I really enjoyed it. I'm so happy to have won a medal on my birthday. I think it has been ten years since I was here for a training camp, and the village is such a nice place. I was supposed to come last year, but then I got sick, so I wanted to be sure to come this season."

Korpi landed triple Salchow-double toe loop, double Axel-double toe-double toe, triple loop, and double Axel. She two-footed her opening triple Lutz and popped her planned triple Salchow and triple loop.

"It was up and down for the whole program," Korpi said. "It was difficult to maintain concentration because of the mistakes. I felt I was rushing, but I tried to fight until the end.


Full article.

No comments: