Friday, October 9, 2009

Elene Gedevanishvili – Elene at a Glance

Elene Gedevanishvili is a National Champion and Olympian from Georgia. Following Europeans, she made a coaching change and began to train under the guidance of Robin Wagner. This season Elene is preparing to skate in her second Olympic Games.

I had the opportunity to watch Elene compete at the Moran Memorial Championships at the Ice House in Hackensack, New Jersey. She skated strong and finished second in the short and first in the freeskate. The following week, Elene graciously sat down with me after practice to discuss the current season and a few fun questions.

You are working with Robin Wagner now, correct?

Yes, since Europeans.

How did you come to find her as a coach?

She always came and worked here at Ice House. I knew who she was and asked her to coach me. At first she did not because she quit coaching, but then she came three times a week to work with me. Now she comes five times a week. I am excited and happy about it.

Do you work with any other coaches?

I still work with Roman [Serov] for jumps and Elaine [Zayak] sometimes—but not right now.

You are skating to Fever for the short and Carmen for the long, correct?

Yes.

Who choreographed your programs?

Robin choreographed for me. Vakhtang [Murvanidze] choreographed the short.

You looked strong and confident at Moran. How did you feel about your programs?

I felt really good. We are still working on the programs and hopefully they will get better… and better and better! We still need to finish a couple of things in the long including the footwork, but the short is fine.

You are competing at Trophée Eric Bompard in Paris and Skate America in Lake Placid, right?

Yes, and I will also compete in Mids to just get out there and skate my programs one more time. [Elene placed second overall at the Middle Atlantic Championships].

What are your goals this season?

I hate making goals! I like to go with the flow and do my best every time. But you never know with ice—it is slippery. You never know.


Full interview.

No comments: